California H Occupancy Design

If your business handles or stores hazardous materials for any length of time, safety is a concern for you. Federal regulations require you to have H Occupancy Design permits. There are guidelines to follow and plans to document and enact. The entire process is simplified with the help of an expert consultant. Here are a few of the steps you will have to take.

Know Your Limits

There are basic limits on how much hazardous material you can store in a given location without reporting them. Generally, hazardous liquids are limited to 55 gallons. Solid materials are limited to 500 pounds. Compressed gases must be reported if they exceed 200 standard cubic feet of compressed gas. You will need a hazardous materials inventory statement that may include materials such as: new and used oil, gasoline, diesel fuel, propane, antifreeze, solvents, and compressed gases. Having a hazardous materials inventory statement is essential to obtaining hazardous materials permitting because not all materials are considered equal. Some are classified as physical risks while others are considered health risks. They are categorized on a scale from H-1 (highly volatile) to H-5 (Least volatile).

Build to Store Accordingly

Storing hazardous materials of different types requires different building structures. For instance, H-1 materials in Type IIIA buildings may be a single story and 9,500 sq. ft. of area per floor. However, if that same building has a Group B occupancy categorization, than it is permitted to be five stories in height and 23,500 sq. ft. of area per story.

Storage Containers

The most common code violation regarding hazardous materials is improper storage containers and improper labeling. It is essential to know the codes and have clear communication of them throughout your business. Labels must be legible and up to date. Lids on canisters need to be secured tightly. They should be placed in a way so that they cannot fall upon each other

Have an Emergency Plan

Accidents happen. You need to have a plan for what to do in case of spills, leaks, or explosions. This plan needs to be determined by your H occupancy design, your hazardous materials inventory statement, and should be vetted by experts when you apply for hazardous material permitting.

Get your hazardous material permits

Where do you get your hazardous material permits? Check with your local Fire Marshal for the required form in your area. There are fees associated with the Planning office, Building Inspection office, Fire Marshal’s office, and possibly the Land Development and Surveyor’s office. This may vary from one region to another, but the bottom line is, this is not a simple endeavor. There are multiple points of accountability to ensure the safety of your business. This can be a lot of paperwork to get through to obtain  your h occupancy permits: hazardous material classification, hazardous materials inventory statement, etc. Before you hire a lawyer to help you file the paperwork, consider working with a consultant on your H Occupancy design.

Consult with a H Occupancy Design Expert

The most efficient and all-around best way to get hazardous classification permits is to consult with a hazardous materials expert. They know the process inside and out and can help make the best use of your time and money in acquiring your H Occupancy Design permits. They also know the reasons behind the regulations which gives you the assurance that your facilities will be as safe as possible. This gives you the credibility to claim safety as a top priority in your business, which can be shared with, and through your employees, and with your customers as well.

Safety should be a core value of your business, especially if you are working with hazardous materials. If you want it to be more than words on paper, seek out expert consulting on your H Occupancy Design.

Compliance First, Inc. 
(714) 572-4410

Now Serving San Diego

fire code analysis
Occupancy Review
laboratory fire safety evaluations and hazardous materials
Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on print
Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Services Include:

  • High Piled Storage Permit
  • High Piled Storage Operational Options
  • Occupancy Review That Also Includes H-Occupancy Design
  • AutoCAD Layout
  • Expedited High Piled Storage Permitting Services
  • Preliminary Fire Code Analysis
  • Racking Permitting Services
  • Chemical Classifications Designation
  • Documents that Are Ready to be Reviewed by The Fire Department
  • Hazardous Disclosure Packets
  • Technical Opinion Reports
  • Meeting Directly with Regulatory Agency to Review Final Report
  • Flammable Storage Solutions
  • Combustible Storage Solutions
  • Cannabis Fire Code Operations Permitting Assistance

Code Analysis May Include:

  • NFPA 30 Flammable and Combustible Liquids Codes Analysis
  • Cannabis Growing and Extractions Analysis
  • NFPA 1 Fire Code
  • Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code
  • CFC – Flammable and Combustible Liquids
  • Combustible Dust-producing Operations
  • Corrosive Materials
  • Highly Toxic and Toxic Materials
  • Aerosols
  • High Hazardous Occupancy/H-Occupancy Design
  • Special Occupancy and Uses
  • HPS Analysis
  • Flammable & Combustible Storage Evaluation
  • Hazardous Material & Chemical Classification & Inventory Reporting for Hazardous Materials Inventory Statement (HMIS) and Hazardous Materials Management Plan (HMMP)
  • Laboratory & Pharmaceutical Manufacturing & Research Fire-Safety Evaluation
  • Fire Sprinkler Design and Hazardous Materials Storage Options
  • Fire Code Compliance Analysis and Reports
  • Fire Hazard Risk Analysis
  • Fire and Life Safety Evaluation
  • Hazardous Materials Storage, Handling & Use Review
  • Toxic, Highly-Toxic Requirements and Safety Evaluation
  • Hazardous Materials Business Plans (BEP), Risk Management Plans
  • Fire Code Permitting Alternative Methods